Friday, November 26, 2010

Goo Goo Dolls "Something For The Rest Of Us" Album Review

We all know & pretty much love their hit "Iris" from all the way back in 1998, but for me, it was with their 2006 album Let Love In that the Goo Goo Dolls could officially call me a fan. Gorgeous tunes like "Stay With You", "Better Days", & the title track are simply undeniable! Thus, my anticipation has grown over the past four years substantially for their follow-up & it arrives with Something For The Rest Of Us.

1. "Sweetest Lie": Though still good, this song has a little bit of a stronger sound than I prefer. Luckily, for the rest of the album, they slow it down for me quite nicely! 4/5

2. "As I Am": Ahh, that's more like it! 4.5/5

3. "Home": The album's first single is a worthy one, if not quite the ear-catcher as their last album's lead ("Stay With You"). Almost though. 4.5/5

4. "Notbroken": The slow jam vibe continues nicely with this'n. 4.5/5

5. "One Night": We continue with this pretty good cut; it's not a highlight though. 4/5

6. "Nothing Is Real": Honestly, the lyrics confuse me a little on this one, although I do really like it. 4/5

7. "Now I Hear": This is one of two songs on the album sung by Robby Takac (not Johnny Rzeznik). I'm not a fan of his singing personally, but I won't hold it against them.

8. "Still Your Song": Nothing groundbreaking, but still a solid track. 4/5

9. "Something For The Rest Of Us": Top-notch album filler. Forgettable, but still quite good. 4/5

10. "Say You're Free": This is the other song sung by Robby Takac. Again, won't hold it against them...

11. "Hey Ya": Not to the point that it's a throwaway, but the chorus is a bit too repetitive. 3.5/5

12. "Soldier": A lovely way to top it all off! Very purdy. 4.5/5

If you're a fan of that good ol' rock ballad sound the Goo Goo Dolls are known for, then you are definitely one of 'the rest of us.' I wouldn't say that Something For The Rest Of Us has anything completely mindblowing on it, but it certainly doesn't have a stinker in the bunch either. I like the appropriateness of the title too--in the midst of all the absolute crap that the radio likes to play anymore, there is indeed still some good music out there!

Rating: 4/5 Stars

No comments: