Sunday, August 23, 2009

Album Review: Imogen Heap "Ellipse"

Before all this recent talk of Imogen Heap being the first "download diva," I accidentally discovered her & decided to buy her second solo album Speak For Yourself. Being that I basically consider myself an R&B fan, I'm really not into any other electronic music (if you can even label Imogen as that), but it didn't take long for me to realize that her work has many elements that I love in music, no matter the genre: the heartfelt delivery of lyrics, creative background music, layered vocals. After recognizing the potential of Imogen's music from following her video blogs that chronicled the making of her new album Ellipse, I knew I hadn't heard anything yet & couldn't wait to treat myself to more. Low & behold, you should know this: Imogen Heap does not disappoint.

She kicks off the album with its first single "First Train Home," which I knew was the right choice after only hearing a short preview in one of Immi's vBlogs. The song is instantly contagious & nothing short of gorgeous, which can be said of the entire album. Imogen then leads us into the sweeping ballad "Wait It Out," a touching piece of art of epic proportions. Right off the bat, my favorite track on Ellipse was, without discounting a single other one, "Earth." The song features nothing but Imogen's voice in the fore- & backgrounds, as is the case with one of my other all-time favorites, Brandy's "A Capella (Something's Missing)." Next up is the tale of "Little Bird," which pulls you in, but doesn't have to let go, especially towards the end when Imogen's complex vocal arrangements take over.

It's no coincidence that I can't think of a better word to describe the next track than its title, "Swoon." Again, the song builds to a magnificent section that's sure to please. I know Imogen was unsure of which backing track, if you will, to use for "Tidal," but she definitely picked the right one. You can't help but love this song from the moment it begins. Placed just perfectly, as are all the tracks, is "Between Sheets," a beautiful, piano-driven slice of heaven. Then, the haunting "2-1" moves in to give a new level of depth to Ellipse.

Now, as perfect as the album may be up to this point, don't get the idea that Imogen is too serious. "Bad Body Double" is a fun song that has her nitpicking her body's imperfections, as we all do. I particularly enjoy the cheeky "Aha!," which features the lyrics "cost you to keep me quiet" right after she has caught someone sneaking something out of the "biscuit tin." Immi then slows it down with the instrumental "The Fire," an impromptu piano session set to the sound of a campfire. This leads us into "Canvas," a mysterious tune driven by Imogen's brilliant vocal stylings. Ellipse closes out with the stripped-down "Half Life" that'll leave you breathless.

I never try too hard to put an album's sound into words. I hate it when other (see: professional) reviewers do that because music is so much more than how you describe it. Imogen Heap's Ellipse especially applies to this theory because it has such a different feeling to it than what I'm used to. Ellipse is a deeper & just better piece of work than what comes along everyday. I hope that you will allow Imogen to take you on this journey in music because it's such a wonderful one & so very worthwhile.

Rating: 5/5 Stars

No comments: