Thursday, February 19, 2009

Idol Review: Top 36 Group 1

Now that season eight has officially begun, so have my Idol Reviews again! First up, season seven's Carly Smithson & Michael Johns performed "The Letter" together again on last night's results show. I love Carly & she showed this year's contestants how it's done ... cause do they ever need to be taught! This week, the first group of 12 hit the stage & not a single one made a good song choice. In fact, I'm really not jumping for joy at the talent overall this season, but I'll wait until the Top 36 is over to really get a feel for it. If I had to choose three people to advance this week (based on talent as well as their performances), I'd give it to Ann Marie Boskovich, Ricky Braddy, & Anoop Desai. I know those choices sound desperate ... & that's because they are; all of these contestants feel like second-rate versions of people from past seasons of the show. Nonetheless, my hope for this season dwindled even more when it was announced that Alexis Grace, Michael Sarver, & Danny Gokey had advanced to the Top 12. Let's just hope the next two weeks bring us some better talent (Adam Lambert, Lil Rounds, anyone?)

No comments: