Sunday, September 28, 2008

Album Review: Jennifer Hudson "Jennifer Hudson"

It's still hard to believe the whirlwind success Jennifer Hudson has had the last couple of years, so I'm pleasantly surprised that her debut album is finally here. Jennifer has long been one of my favorite previous American Idol contestants, so to see her overcome the magical disappearing act many of them do is simply wonderful. Following her Oscar-winning role in "Dreamgirls," I was terribly thirsty for more J-Hud. Her self-titled debut album easily quenches that thirst & then some.

Jennifer Hudson starts off with "Spotlight," which was by no means a weak lead single, however I found it to be far from the best midtempo on the album. In fact, the track that follows, "If This Isn't Love," is easily one of the album's best offerings. I love the song's vocal arrangements & contemporary production. The Ludacris-assisted "Pocketbook" gives the album its uptempo with Jennifer's signature attitude. "Giving Myself" is a beautiful ballad that has Jennifer displaying her outstanding vocal chops just right.

Unfortunately, though "What's Wrong (Go Away)," which features T-Pain, is potentially a decent song, the choice to have Jennifer singing alongside the synthesized T-Pain was just the wrong decision. Jennifer's too good for that, so the song just doesn't quite work for me. The catchy midtempo "My Heart" gets the album back on the right track. More great production singles out "You Pulled Me Through" as another standout track. Jennifer's fellow Idol alumni Fantasia joins her on the duet "I'm His Only Woman." The two compliment one another perfectly to make for a very interesting listen.

Jennifer gets serious with "Can't Stop The Rain," which begins a nice trio of midtempo tracks. "We Gon' Fight" & "Invisible" are the other two & they represent what makes this album great: Jennifer's vocals make every song just different enough for the album to stay enjoyable & never get boring. The showstopping "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going" is included here to remind everyone why we fell in love with Jennifer in the first place. The album's closer is the gospel track "Jesus Promised Me A Home Over There." Oh, what a church service led by Jennifer Hudson would be like.

Jennifer Hudson could sing the phone book & I would like it. Her talent goes so far & beyond her peers it's astounding. While I was only slightly hesitant about a ballad-heavy debut album, I'm glad Jennifer's label held off & released a more diverse offering. Jennifer Hudson is a very enjoyable debut that does the powerhouse singer more than justice. I can only hope this album gives Jennifer the lifelong career she deserves.

Rating: 4.5/5 Stars

No comments: