Monday, February 16, 2009

Album Review: India.Arie "Testimony: Vol. 2, Love & Politics"

Three years have passed since we were treated to the first volume of India.Arie's Testimony series, so it's finally time for her to offer up Testimony: Vol. 2, Love & Politics. I fell in love with India.Arie when she dropped her last album & there are very few albums I have connected with to the extent that I did with Testimony: Vol. 1. Obviously excited about this new volume, I was pleased with what I heard on first listen & have given myself the opportunity to connect with the music even more. There's just nothing quite like the experience of listening to an India.Arie album.

The spiritual intro, two interludes, & outro, all dubbed "Grains," are wonderful inclusions to this project. They really fit in well with the Testimony series. The upbeat, Gramps Morgan-assisted "Therapy" is an excellent way to really kickoff the album. "Ghetto" is the first 'political' offering on Testimony: Vol. 2, Love & Politics, which I must admit is my least favorite of the two subjects. Lead single "Chocolate High," which features Musiq Soulchild, is a much nicer listen & brings that signature smooth quality that I love from India.Arie.

Another signature sound from this 'acoustic soul' can be found in "He Heals Me," which is beautiful. I love having a good balance of stripped down & bigger sounding music on an India.Arie record. I've become quite the fan of "Pearls," which sees Dobet Gnahore adding some great African-influenced ad-libs to the track. More acoustic goodness comes with the gorgeous "River Rise," while Terrell Carter assists on the pleasant "Yellow." "Better Way," which features Keb Mo, at least keeps up with the album's incomparable vibe.

My absolute favorite song on Testimony: Vol. 2, Love & Politics is "Long Goodbye." This is a powerful & emotional one that shows India.Arie stepping out of her comfort zone vocally for something very special. MC Lyte makes an interesting appearance on "Psalms 23," which ends up being a surprisingly delightful collaboration. More politics shows up on the album's closer "The Cure," which features Sezen Aksu & unfortunately doesn't quite do it for me; these tracks just aren't as well-written as the others. The bonus track "A Beautiful Day" picks up the slack however, as it leaves the listener in the perfect place to end up.

Testimony: Vol. 2, Love & Politics is no doubt another brilliant work from India.Arie. While I did prefer the 'love' aspect to the disc, the mood of the project as a whole is very addictive. We even get to witness some growth India.Arie has gone through as an artist here. This is simply one talent you can't pass up.

Rating: 4.5/5 Stars

No comments: